WILLIAM OF RAMSDELL

front

William Lowndes married Elizabeth Hope on the 10th of July,1796 at St Paul's, Liverpool. Their first two children, Mary and John, were born in Manchester, as was their fourth, Elizabeth. They lived in the Liverpool/Manchester area for a few years before taking up residence at Ramsdell Hall.
Exactly when they did so is not known for certain. William's father, Edward, died in 1811, at which time William's elder brother, John, may have moved to the Lowndes' ancestral home at Old House Green.

This may have happened earlier because William's third child, Ellen, was born at Astbury in 1800, as were the four children after Elizabeth's birth in 1802.
Suffice to say, that William took up residence at Ramsdell sometime between between 1802 and 1811, and he and Elizabeth brought up their eight children in the spaceous splendour of Ramsdell Hall.

William twice became Mayor of Congleton and saw the Macclesfield Canal arrive at his door in 1831,complete with ornamental railings that in 2007 were beautifully restored. It was this canal that would not only put his beautiful house on the map forever but would cause it to be leased to a coal merchant family for nearly half a century.

His youngest daughter, Isabella, reputedly a great beauty,was related by marriage to the Prime Minister Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman, who always kept a portrait of her at his home.Sadly she died when only twenty-three.
His eldest daughter,Mary,had married James Bury,whom he didn't consider a suitable match.His eldest son, John Hope, had disappointed him with his spendthrift ways. Ellen Susannah,his second daughter, died in 1842.
As he approached the twilight of his life,he must have given very serious thought as to whom he could best entrust the family estates to.

Following the death of his wife Elizabeth and the leasing of Ramsdell to the Williamsons, William moved into Old House Green, where he died in 1844; but not before dropping a family bombshell, by disinheriting his eldest son John Hope and leaving the estates to Elizabeth! How surprised she must have been, not to mention the rest of the family.

By the terms of the will Elizabeth and her husband William Chaddock had to add Lowndes to their surname and thus the name Chaddock-Lowndes was born.
However,although Elizabeth now owned Ramsdell Hall and the Farm Estates, she wouldn't herself live there again. Nor would her children, until her son Thomas Chaddock-Lowndes took up residence in the late 1880s. Ramsdell Hall's sleepy existence was about to take up a new challenge and shake-up.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player