The Macclesfield Canal brought the Industrial Revolution to rural Cheshire and the Williamsons of Middlewich to Ramsdell Hall. Robert and Anne and their sons owned various coal and iron works in the area, and what better place to live in and work from than Ramsdell Hall.
William Lowndes' children,presumably, didn't choose to take up the Hall and with his moving to Old House Green, it was leased rather than sold. It may also have been that William chose to lease out Ramsdell rather than offer it to any of his children.
Robert Williamson created Ramsdell Wharf further down the canal, and the Williamson Brothers (Stonetrough Colliery Company),Kent green, were now well-established.
For half a century, his family occupied the hall. His wife, Ann, died there in 1842, but Robert lived to be eighty-eight and a much-respected member of the local community.
"In memory of Robert Williamson of Ramsdell Hall who died August 31 1869.This window is placed as a tribute of respect by those in the employ of himself and and his sons.AD 1871”
He earned a similar tribute from the 13th Company of Staffordshire Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers and this can be found at Astbury Church.
His sons Hugh and Edward continued the business, listed as Iron Masters in the 1871 Census. By 1881, Hugh had married Mary and they were the last Williamsons to live at the hall with Edward having moved on.
It had been over thirty years since there had been a Mistress of the Hall. Like Anne before her, Mary's time at the Hall would be cut short. Soon the Lowndes would once again reside at Ramsdell with the time of the Chaddock-Lowndes drawing near.
The Williamsons may not have owned the hall or have been part of the Lowndes lineage, but their part in the history of this Cheshire House remains indelible. How sad that Anne Williamson should not live long enough to fully express herself at Ramsdell and this page is dedicated to her memory.